13 Oct 2014
Final-year students who will soon complete an approved program of study can go online now to apply for registration before they graduate.
The online graduate application service on the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) website smooths the path from study to work by enabling final-year students to apply for registration four to six weeks before completing their course.
Graduates of dentistry must make an application for general registration and are required to return some supporting documents to AHPRA by mail to complete their application.
Dental Board of Australia Chair, Dr John Lockwood AM, said graduates of approved programs of study must also meet the National Board’s registration requirements to be a registered dental practitioner.
Registration standards that relate to the new graduate are:
- criminal history
- English language skills, and
- professional indemnity insurance.
‘Graduates need to be a registered dental practitioner before they can start practising,’ Dr Lockwood said.
‘To assist with the processing of their application, it’s important that graduates post supporting documents to AHPRA as soon as possible after applying online.
‘Graduates wishing to apply for registration in more than one division of the profession, such as a dental therapist and a dental hygienist, are also urged to apply early using the appropriate streamlined graduate application form.’
There are five simple steps to registration for graduates:
- Students apply for registration four to six weeks before completing their program at Graduate applications on the AHPRA website.
- Applicants fill out an online application (if eligible) or download an application form. All applications require some documents to be sent to AHPRA by mail to complete the application.
- Education providers advise AHPRA when applicants are eligible to graduate.
- AHPRA finalises assessment, confirms registration, publishes new graduates’ names on the national register of practitioners and sends out registration certificates.
- New graduates registered with the National Board are eligible to start work as soon as their name is published on the national register.
For more information
- Go to Graduate applications on the AHPRA website for FAQ and links to more information
- For registration enquiries or difficulties in accessing the online application form: 1300 419 495 (within Australia)
- For media enquiries: (03) 8708 9200